Open Source Projects
CommonJS Promises/A and when() implementation, with other async helpers like when.all, when.map, when.reduce, and more.
A simple, extensible, project bootstrapping and boilerplate generation tool.
Promise-aware, asynchronous finite state automata.
Projects @ Hovercraft Studios
Nov. 2010 – present: Web Application Architecture Consultant, LifeIMAGE, Boston, MA
- Helped to lead design and implementation of highly modular and unit-testable front-end architecture for new product platform
- Implemented Web UI components using new architecture for platform-based products
July 2010 – Oct. 2010: Web Application Consultant, ModCloth, Pittsburgh, PA
- Designed UX for, and implemented new buyer and tradeshow admin application
- Evaluated current front-end architecture and performance and recommended improvements
- Implemented highly visible, customer facing features, such as Product Zoom
Feb. 2010 – July 2010: Web Application Architecture Consultant, Synesi, LLC, Pittsburgh, PA
- Managed server architecture, data model, & server implementation.
- Integrated 3rd party database migrations, authentication, and basic layout/view packages.
- Implemented role–based authorization and url routing infrastructure built on Tank Auth.
- Implemented modular layout, view, and css infrastructure, based on work by Jamie Rumbalow.
- Implemented ajax/json routing and handling infrastructure based on Content-Type and Accept headers.
Feb. 2010 – June 2010: UX Design and Engineering Consultant, SnapRetail, Pittsburgh, PA
- Drove design and development process of highly interactive marketing message creation web app for TrafficBuilder offering.
- Involved stakeholders, including users, project managers, and engineers in wireframing and design process, and worked with web designer to create final, branded design.
- Implemented desktop-quality WYSIWYG message editor with inline rich text editing, media browsing, and drag and drop image editing with zooming and cropping.
- Implemented custom Dojo widgets, including a multi-complete widget that works like your email client's To field.
Feb. 2010 – May 2010: UX and Technology Consultant, 80 Degrees West Interior Design, Pittsburgh, PA
- Guided UX design for Interior Design Project Notebook web application.
- Provided guidance on technology and platform selection.
- Oversaw and assisted in management of engineering phase of web application development.
Feb. 2010 – present: Founder, Hovercraft Studios, LLC, Pittsburgh, PA
- Work with users, engineers, and designers, and other stakeholders to design user experience and interactions for desktop–quality apps on the web.
- Architect and implement front–end and web tier components that are fast, flexible, scalable, localizable, and maintainable
- Hovercraft Studios has extensive experience with HTML & CSS, including HTML 5 & CSS 3, Dojo, jQuery, and many MVC web frameworks.
Nov. 2009 – Feb. 2010: Senior Engineer, G2 Systems, LLC, Pittsburgh, PA
- Designed user experience and interaction for a new product.
- Refactored data import and translation component for higher performance and dependency–ordered processing.
- Skills and technologies: Java, Hibernate, HTML, CSS.
Feb. 2007 – Nov. 2009: Senior Software Architect & Web Developer, mSpoke, Inc., Pittsburgh, PA
- Implemented Web tier MVC components, Web APIs, and UIs in FeedHub, and for administering various aspects of mPower systems.
- Designed and Implemented complex architectural components, such as a content scoring and ranking framework, and custom database partitioning and Map-Reduce style query engine.
- Integrated mPower with customers’ existing infrastructure, including databases and third-party email marketing services.
Nov. 2003 – Jan. 2007: Lead Software Architect, Adhoc Mobile, LLC, Los Angeles, CA
- Led a team of 5 Software Engineers in architecting an advertising system for mobile devices and for a distributed, social, mobile gaming environment.
- Ensured quality and consistency of architecture, design, implementation, testing and deployment.
- Managed project milestones, and ensured they were met by engineering staff.
- Designed and implemented server-side REST and XML web services, and J2ME mobile applications.
- Designed and implemented an advanced user interface API and library for mobile devices.
- Skills and technologies: Java J2SE, J2EE, Tapestry, J2ME, Ruby, Rails, JSP, (X)HTML, XML, REST, Web Services, Apache, Tomcat, Postgres.
Jun. 2001 – Feb. 2004: Project Engineer, Institute for Computer Assisted Orthopaedic Surgery, Pittsburgh, PA
- Worked with three surgeons, surgical staff, two research scientists, and a team of six developers.
- Developed computer assisted surgery software systems for Adult Joint Reconstruction surgery
- Developed software to visualize clinical CT scans.
- Skills and technologies: C, C++, 2D and 3D Graphics with OpenGL.
Sep. 1999 – Apr. 2001: Product Development Lead, Inmedius, Inc., Pittsburgh, PA
- Led a matrixed team of three engineers, two interaction designers, and a graphic designer
- Architected, designed, and implemented the Mentor workflow and collaboration software product.
- Worked with marketing and sales staff to bring the product to market.
- Skills and technologies: Java, Apache, Tomcat, JBoss, Oracle, Sybase, MS SQL Server, XML.
- I have 13+ years experience building and deploying large scale, distributed, web and mobile applications.
- Strong Software Engineering background: software architecture, object oriented analysis and design techniques.
- Software development processes: software lifecycle models, quality assurance, configuration management, metrics and measurement procedures.
- Software project management theories and practices.
- 1996–1998 Masters of Software Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh, PA
- 1991–1995 Bachelor’s of Computer Science, West Virginia University Morgantown, WV
- I am an active member of St. George Orthodox Church in New Kensington, PA: Music & Choir Director and Head Chanter, member of Parish Council, and webmaster.
- I am a trained operatic Baritone (Listen) From “Let My Prayer Arise”, G. Lvovsky, for trio (Soprano, Alto, Baritone) recorded live in 2004 at St. George Orthodox Cathedral, Pittsburgh, PA. (Listen), and a member of the Orthodox Sacred Music Chamber Choir.
- I have composed and arranged several Orthodox hymns in the Byzantine and Russian styles.
- I have a 1st degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do and in Shotokan Karate, and a blue belt in Aikido.